Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Choosing Your Favor Idea


One of my favorite details at a wedding are the favors. Not only are they the bride and groom's way of thanking their guests for sharing their special day with them, but it should also be a decorative element that helps contribute to the uniqueness and loveliness of the wedding, as well as compliments the theme.

However, sometimes its hard to stray from the common favor ideas. When pretty packages of candy sounds so appealing, it's hard to think of something that you could do instead. In fact- just a couple days ago, I spent an entire day trying to come up with an original idea for favors at my wedding. Trust me- I understand how difficult it can be to come up with original ideas.

Here's my four simple tips to help you discover the perfect favors for your wedding:


#1: DIY or Purchased? 
Before you begin to do anything else, you should first decide whether you want to purchase your favor from a store, purchase a hand-crafted favor from Etsy or a local artist (like the pictured mason jar favor by Poppy and Pearl Co.), or make the favors yourself.

While time and budget should be considered when decided, the most important factor is how each would fit into your wedding. If you are trying to have a very unique wedding, for example, you should go with DIY favors or hand-crafted favors.


#2: Use Your Theme
You may have had to do word associations in your Creative Writing classes in college, but did you know they'll come in handy now? The easiest way to think of the perfect favor is to think of your theme and write down the first 10- 20 words you associate with it. 

Without using my theme, I don't think I would have ever been able to choose my favors. When I thought of my theme- a garden wedding featuring navy and peach- I immediately began to think of peach as a fruit. I then decided that I wanted to bake a dessert that features peach, and all my other favor ideas began to fall into place from there.



#3: Use Your Location
If you're having a large amount of out-of-town guests, you may want to consider having a favor that features something special to your location. A beach wedding that I attended once actually featured sand dollars, shells and starfish that the couple had found on the beach that they were getting married on.


#4: Feature Diversity
One thing that I highly recommend doing is having a variety of different favors.  Not all of your guests are the same, so why would you want to give them all the same thing? At my wedding, I will be featuring three different favors- one delicious and edible, one whimsical and unique, and one playful. By having more than one favor, not only will you have a more beautiful display, but you're guaranteed to satisfy everyone.


I've already talked about my favors, but I'm curious- have you chosen yours?


Photo Credit: Poppy and Pearl Co.

No comments:

Post a Comment